Monday, December 20, 2010

The Story Behind Ducttapestuff


The story behind Ducttapestuff dates all the way back to 2003 when one of my friends showed me a wallet that he had made out of duct tape. I complimented him on how neat it was and I knew that I had to give it a shot. A little while later I got a roll of red duct tape (it was actually Scotch brand) and tried my hand at making a wallet. It probably would have been a lot easier if I had looked online on how to make a wallet before trying it out but instead I broke down the process of how it had to be done in my head and then started sticking pieces of tape together. I ended up with a pretty wrinkled wallet with no credit card holders (I would learn these later, also without looking at any directions/videos.) You can check out my first wallet in "Collections Volume 1" on the Youtube channel. I perfected my design and then made an all black wallet which I use to this day. From 2003 to 2008 I tinkered with duct tape and various ways of making things out of it. I taught several classes at summer camps on how to make wallets out of tape and some of these classes had 30-40 people! In October of 2008 I got an idea for making a Youtube channel to showcase tutorials that I would come up with and then post for others to see. On November 7th, 2008 the channel was born and on November 28th my first video on how to make flowers out of tape was posted. The rest, of course, is history.

1 comment: